(Washington, DC) – The District of Columbia Government offices will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28, and Friday, November 29. Below is information regarding critical, ongoing District operations for these days.
The DC Department of Public Works (DPW) will suspend sanitation services on Thursday, November 28, and will resume services on Friday, November 29.
- Trash and recycling collections will “slide” to the next day for the remainder of the week into Saturday. For example, households that normally receive trash/recycling collections on Thursday will be serviced Friday.
- The Fort Totten and Benning Road transfer stations will be closed on the holiday, reopening the following day.
- DPW’s impoundment lot will resume operations at Blue Plains on December 2 and will not tow abandoned vehicles.
Leaf collections are being made from “Area B” neighborhoods between Monday, November 25 and Saturday, November 30 (including Thanksgiving Day). DPW is following the collection schedule published in the leaf collection brochure mailed to households that receive DPW trash/recycling collections. “Area B” residents should rake their leaves into their tree box (or curb) to ensure leaves are ready when the crews come to collect them through November 29. Residents can go to dpw.dc.gov/service/leaf-and-holiday-tree-collection to view the leaf collection schedule and can check the status of their specific collection by entering their address at leaf.dcgis.dc.gov/.
“Blocked” Streetcar Parking Enforcement is daily, including weekends and holidays, along H Street and Benning Road, NE, between 3rd Street, NE and Oklahoma Avenue, NE. The hours of enforcement are concurrent with the streetcar schedule.
All DC Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) locations will be closed:
- Thursday, November 28
- Friday, November 29
Customers visiting a DMV Service Center on other days are encouraged to plan ahead and “Know Before You Go” for services requiring an in-person visit, as customer volume is high before and after a holiday closing. To check customer volume at a specific center, residents can check the service center’s webcams which are refreshed every 60 seconds during normal business hours at dmv.dc.gov. Additionally, DC DMV has more than 55 online services at dmv.dc.gov that enable customers to skip the in-person trip.
All DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) administrative offices, recreation/community centers, and indoor aquatic facilities will be closed on Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29. Facilities will reopen Saturday, November 30.
- All athletic fields, parks, playgrounds, and park sites will be open for general use.
- All previously permitted outdoor events will take place as scheduled.
All DC Public Library (DCPL) locations will be closed on Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29 and will reopen on Saturday, November 30.
Street Construction, Lane Restrictions, Parking, and Enforcement
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) has made the following service changes listed below:
- DDOT will not apply reversible lane operations on Thursday, November 28. Reversible lane operations will resume on Friday, November 29.
- All work will be suspended in public space Wednesday, November 21 at noon through Thursday, November 28. Work can resume in public space on Friday, November 29.
Parking enforcement will be suspended on Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29.
The DC Circulator will operate its regular weekday schedule.
The DC Streetcar will operate its regular weekday schedule from 6:00 a.m. until midnight.
The Department of Human Services (DHS) has made the following service changes:
- The DHS Call Center will be closed on Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29.
- All DHS-ESA Service Centers will be closed on Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29.
- The Virginia Williams Family Resource Center will be closed on Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29.
- The Adams Place Day Center is closed on Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29.
The following Low Barrier Shelters will remain open on Thursday, November 28:
- Saint Josephine Bakhita (women) at 6010 Georgia Avenue NW
- Harriet Tubman (women) at 1900 Massachusetts Avenue SE, Building #27
- Patricia Handy Place (women) 810 5th Street NW
- Sherwood Recreation Center (women) 640 10th Street NE
- New York Avenue Shelter (men) at 1355 New York Avenue, NE
- 801 East Shelter (men) at 801 Making Life Better Lane, SE
- Adams Place Emergency Shelter (men) at 2210 Adams Place, NE
- Malcolm X Opportunity Center (co-ed) at 1351 Alabama Avenue SE
Families with children under 18 years old who need emergency shelter should call the Shelter Hotline at (202) 399-7093.
Source: DC DMV